On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 6:10 PM, Jeremy Orlow <jor...@chromium.org> wrote:

> There are 2 major issues here (besides leaving things for the Sheriff to
> clean up):
> 1) a lot of the gardeners are inexperienced and drop the ball.  This has
> bitten us many times.  The last time we had a big string of problems related
> to this, I meant to send out an email giving people advice on what to expect
> and how to prepare.  I will do it this time.  Hopefully people listen.
>
> 2) we don't have enough tools for gardeners to do their jobs.  As I
> mentioned in another thread you started the other day, we really need more
> try bots and/or canaries that run memory tests, our full suite of tests,
> etc.  Without that, things are not going to get better.
>
> Just to be clear, on bad days, gardening is WAY harder than sheriffing by
> yourself.  Like you mentioned, reverting a merge is pretty much not an
> option because you only get further behind, which makes things harder.  If
> several hour tree closures once or twice a week are not an option, then we
> need more bots.

We are creating bots as fast as we can. We delivered almost (all?) of them
you asked for. You have purify canary, valgrind canary, perf tests canary,
and selenium tests canary.  You also have the layout tests try slaves, and
the valgrind try slave. I guess the one that remains in ui tests? We can
work on that and make it happen. (which you have a try server for in the
mean time).

Nicolas