First of all, thanks for putting together this proposal, great to see
progress on this!
A few comments:

   - UI: I prefer the infobar, as per the arguments above. I don't think
   this will happen frequently enough to be annoying.
   - UI: Should there be user UI to manage this that doesn't require knowing
   a magic about:protocols url?
   - API: Is there an API to unregister from a protocol?
   - API: How does the page know it's registered? We should probably have a
   separate API for this, so sites can display a more prominent call to action
   when they're not registered.
   - Misc: Should there be some way for native apps to register as protocol
   handlers? (say iTunes for mp3s, outlook for mailto, etc). Or does the OS
   provide this?

Cheers,

-Nick