Thanks for the response, comments inline.

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 12:44 AM, brg <b...@chromium.org> wrote:

> Thanks for everyone's comments.  I'm replying to Nick's message since
> he had them rather collected and enumerated.
>
> > UI: I prefer the infobar, as per the arguments above. I don't think this
> > will happen frequently enough to be annoying.
>
> This seems to be the consensus.
>
> > UI: Should there be user UI to manage this that doesn't require knowing a
> > magic about:protocols url?
>
> More than happy to have one if the UI gurus have something in mind, I
> was actively attempting to not change any UI element.

My guess is we'll need this, but good Chrome-y design attitude :)

> > API: Is there an API to unregister from a protocol?
>
> No, as spec'd a webapp only announces it's availability by calling
> registerProtocolHandler when loaded.  The UA must provide a mechanism
> for removing/announcing registration.

If the app is providing in-page UI to set this, they might want to provide
corresponding UI to un-set it.

> > API: How does the page know it's registered?
>
> Why would it need to know?  There's nothing it can change.

If Gmail notices you have Chrome and this isn't set, it might put a big
promo on your inbox page. However, if it's already set, if would of course
want to hide this.

> > We should probably have a
> > separate API for this, so sites can display a more prominent call to
> action
> > when they're not registered.
>
> Beyond the infobar (which should be hidden on return navigations if
> the user has previously declined,but always available from
> about:protocols), what do you have in mind?  Not having a means of
> suppressing this will make the site annoying.

See Gmail example. BTW, I think the infobar should be yes, not now, never.

> > Misc: Should there be some way for native apps to register as protocol
> > handlers? (say iTunes for mp3s, outlook for mailto, etc). Or does the OS
> > provide this?
>
> The OS provides hooks for some protocols.  I mentioned this in the
> tail end of the script; I'm not sure how happy users would be to see
> Chrome populating their registry with protocol handlers.

Fair enough. This seems to work on PC today, but not on Mac for some
reason.