On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 12:25 PM, Jeremy Orlow <jor...@chromium.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 11:45 AM, Charles Reis <cr...@chromium.org> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 11:13 AM, Andrew Scherkus
>> <scher...@chromium.org>wrote:
>>
>>> It'd be nice to have a non-distracting visual indicator, but to play the
>>> devil's advocate...
>>> What about intentionally CPU intensive sites that use <canvas>, <video>,
>>> WebGL?
>>>
>>> What about scenarios where it's a plugin that's gone haywire?
>>>
>>> Could this be accomplished by an extension that displays a little CPU
>>> graph?
>>>

>> I would love to see this as an extension-- just like the graph that
>> Procexp.exe or the Windows Task Manager puts in the tray, only per tab in
>> the location bar (getting its data from the Chrome Task Manager).  Is that
>> information available to extensions?
>>
>> On a grander scale, it would be great to also have a button to "suspend" a
>> renderer process if I'm not using it at the moment.  I'm sure there's a ton
>> of complicated issues there, though-- it might suspend several seemingly
>> unrelated tabs, the page(s) may have network requests in progress, Flash or
>> a plugin could be to blame, etc, etc.
>>

> I could't imagine many users understanding a feature like this much less
> finding it particularly useful.
>
> What are the use cases?

Only power users, which is why I think such a button only belongs in an
extension.  (Sorry if that part wasn't clear.)

Basically, I tend to have lots of tabs open, but I'm only using a small set
at any time.  That means I often find myself annoyed that Gmail or other
CPU-heavy tabs are chewing up resources (or are making Hulu videos choppy)
while I'm not using them.  I end up having to kill the CPU-heavy tabs, but
then I lose my context, as well as the visual reminder to get back to it
later.  This button would let the user "pause" CPU-heavy tabs without losing
that context.

This is mainly a problem on my laptop, where battery life is also important.

Charlie