On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 10:40 AM, Peter Kasting <pkast...@google.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 10:36 AM, Jay Campan <jcam...@chromium.org> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 6:32 PM, Finnur Thorarinsson
>> <fin...@chromium.org>wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the point in making a toolbar as a
>>> whole focusable. The keyboard shortcut should put focus on the first element
>>> in the toolbar and tab should cycle focus from there.
>>>
>> The goal was to have a mode where you could switch between the buttons of
>> the Toolbar using the left/right key, making them hot tracked when they are
>> selected.
>>

> That doesn't sound like any focus interface I've ever seen in Windows.
>  Therefore it seems like it will be confusing.  Windows uses tab and
> shift-tab to change focus.

+1.  To a beginner, left and right arrow might be more intuitive and an
opportunity for us to innovate.  But millions of people use screenreaders,
have trouble using the mouse, or are just power users who love keyboard
shortcuts, and we're just frustrating them by not letting them use standard
control navigation keys (like Tab and Shift+Tab) that work throughout
Windows.

I think we can do both.  Here's one idea of how to merge both ideas:

1. The toolbar itself doesn't actually ever get focus.  Pressing Alt+Shift+T
focuses the first element in the toolbar, and Tab and Shift+Tab cycles
through all possible controls.  (I think if you keep pressing Tab you should
end up in the browser content, but that's a separate discussion.)

2. In addition, when any control in the toolbar gains focus via the keyboard
(or maybe always), the whole toolbar highlights in some subtle way
indicating the whole toolbar is the containing region to the focused
control.  This enables the user to press left and right arrow keys as an
additional way to move the focus to other controls in the toolbar - this is
similar to how when you have a radio button active, you can use arrows to
change the selected radio button.  However, if at any point they press Tab
or Shift+Tab, they'll navigate among all controls, on or off the toolbar,
exactly as one would expect.

- Dominic