On Oct 27, 2009, at 9:10 PM, Mike Belshe wrote:

> From a performance perspective, it may be critical to use tcmalloc
> to match safari performance.  It was literally a 50% speedup on most
> of the DOM perf when running on WinXP.

Yeah, I've profiled some of the Dromaeo benchmarks, and the DOM-
mutation test in particular is spending huge amounts of time in malloc
and free.

Should I open a bug on this task, then?

> I suspect this will use the version of TCMalloc which is embedded in
> WTF.  I'd recommend against this approach.  We should try to use a
> single allocator for the entire app

I agree; no sense linking in two different versions of tcmalloc.

> There is a disadvantage.  I suspect Apple is farther along in
> optimizing the mac-specific optimizations of tcmalloc than the
> google3 guys are.

I would say more generally "client-specific optimizations". Some of
the recent memory-bloat issues found by the Memory taskforce (jamesr
in particular) show that baseline tcmalloc is tuned for server
environments where memory footprint is much less of an issue.

—Jens