On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 10:54 AM, Jens Alfke <s...@chromium.org> wrote:

> On Oct 27, 2009, at 9:10 PM, Mike Belshe wrote:
>
> From a performance perspective, it may be critical to use tcmalloc to match
> safari performance.  It was literally a 50% speedup on most of the DOM perf
> when running on WinXP.
>

> Yeah, I've profiled some of the Dromaeo benchmarks, and the DOM-mutation
> test in particular is spending huge amounts of time in malloc and free.
>
> Should I open a bug on this task, then?

SGTM.

> I suspect this will use the version of TCMalloc which is embedded in WTF.
>  I'd recommend against this approach.  We should try to use a single
> allocator for the entire app
>

> I agree; no sense linking in two different versions of tcmalloc.
>
> There is a disadvantage.  I suspect Apple is farther along in optimizing
> the mac-specific optimizations of tcmalloc than the google3 guys are.
>

> I would say more generally "*client*-specific optimizations". Some of the
> recent memory-bloat issues found by the Memory taskforce (jamesr in
> particular) show that baseline tcmalloc is tuned for server environments
> where memory footprint is much less of an issue.

That may be true too, but, having looked at what they've done, I don't think
they've done a lot to fix this problem (yet).  Chrome now uses a lot less
memory than safari.

I was really pointing out the mac-port potential problems.  See tcmalloc's
TCMalloc_SystemAlloc() routines ported to the mac.  I don't know that the
google3 tools has a mac version at all?  tcmalloc was designed for linux
which leverages a cute trick using MADV_DONT_NEED (is this MADV_FREE_REUSE
on the mac?) to release memory (sorta).    It may be that we can port the
webkit implementations for mac back to the google3-perftools open source
project, and also make it release memory better.

If you pick up this task, you can ask Jim, James or me for details; I think
we've all been fairly deep into tcmalloc to help get you ramped up quickly.

Mike