So, I eventually managed to embed some DOM benchmarks into extension.
The patch I sent (with one fix) buys us roughly 20%, after it
benchmarks ran as a content script lag something like 4% compared to
same benchmarks ran w/o any content script.

Detailed data:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/a/google.com/ccc?key=toKIzdJ38bMbcS7sBt6a-vQ
(sorry, Google-internal).

I'd appreciate if someone would have look at extensions I wrote to
estimate how representative they are (they required minor tweaks to
benchmarks, changing top to parent due to another embedding):
http://www.corp.google.com/~antonm/extensions/

Overall, I'd suggest to add them to perf buildbots: as of current they
need some massaging to get rid of, e.g., absolute paths, but that
should be doable.  Two problems I can immediately see: 1) they take a
notable amount of time, 2) I don't know if it's possible/easy to
install an extension into the test.

Any comments are most appreciated,
yours,
anton.