On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 9:29 PM, Jeremy Orlow <jor...@google.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 8:22 PM, Darin Fisher <da...@chromium.org> wrote:
>
>> After reading the WebGL blog post today, and following the link to the
>> wiki, it struck me as fairly *bad* that we are telling people to disable the
>> sandbox.  A good number of folks are going to disable the sandbox and forget
>> that they had ever done so.
>>
>> Once we can support WebGL in the sandbox, what will we do?  It would be
>> nice if we could somehow restore the sandbox automatically.  But renaming
>> --no-sandbox doesn't seem like a great choice, and it isn't a scalable
>> solution for other things like this that come up in the future.
>>
>> Perhaps --enable-webgl should instead implicitly disable the sandbox today
>> so that "tomorrow," when WebGL just works, folks won't have to change any
>> command line options to restore sandbox functionality.  I can see a counter
>> argument that people should have to explicitly opt-in to disabling the
>> sandbox, but I'm not sure that out-weighs the cost of having a good number
>> of dev channel users running *permanently* without the sandbox.
>>
>> Was this idea considered?  Any other ideas?
>>

> From a past thread on the subject:
>
> On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 9:58 AM, Jeremy Orlow <jor...@google.com> wrote:
>
>> For the record, I'm very against publicly telling people to "turn off the
>> sandbox if you want to check out this really cool feature".
>>
>> Somewhat related: Maybe we need to do something really scary looking when
>> the Sanbox is disabled to impress upon users running that way that they're
>> in a very dangerous state.  It could actually be useful to developers too;
>> I've run without sandbox before and been very confused why things were
>> working when they shouldn't be.
>>

> I still think this is the right solution.

Oh, and I filed this:

To be clear, I think this is the right solution because 1) some people might
have already disabled the sandbox and forgotten about it  and 2) in
that interterm period, some people will just leave the flag on and they'll
be insecure.

I do agree that your suggestion is better than the status quo tho.  And it's
something we could do immediately.  Of course, by the time the next dev
channel build is out there (and thus we can change the instructions) it
seems as though most of the damage will have already been done.