On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 3:43 PM, Peter Kasting <pkast...@google.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 3:22 PM, Jeremy Orlow <jor...@google.com> wrote:
>
>> I just got back from vacation and would like to take action on this.  I
>> read through the thread, but I don't see any sort of consensus on what to
>> do.  Here are the options as I see them:
>>
>> 1) Modal dialog box.  Bad for debugging, will probably just be clicked
>> through by users, and not very good for users who leave the browser open for
>> long stretches of time.  I'd say it's not a good solution.
>>

> I thought it was clear that this was the consensus best idea (see Darin's,
> Glen's, my posts for example).

Glen didn't support it (only didn't object) and you and Darin were the only
ones that supported it.  A couple of us thought it was a bad idea.  I don't
see how this is anything close to a consensus.

>  I don't see how it's "bad for debugging" (Viet-Trung's objection makes
> absolutely no sense to me),and we don't care about the edge case of users
> who both use --no-sandbox and never restart (this works well enough even for
> restarting once every several weeks, which takes care of practically
> everyone).  Clicking through is enough of an annoyance to serve our
> purposes, and this is trivially simple to add (simpler by far than all other
> options including an infobar).
>
> 2) Info bar.  This seems like one of the more popular options at the
>> moment.
>>

> This is a bad idea, we shouldn't do it.  It's not as annoying as a modal
> dialog, it has problems with clashing with other infobars on start.
>  Basically it's inferior to a modal dialog in every way.

FYI: The ui-leads (in an off-list thread) seem to like Evan's initial patch
that goes this route.

> 3) Add some other persistent UI like the incognito spy guy, an annoying
>> theme (that overrides whatever you have selected), or something else.  This
>> seems like a pretty good option to me, but there hasn't been too much
>> discussion around it.  What type of UI would be the best?  Is this a good
>> option?
>>

> No, we shouldn't do this.  Way too much effort and code (think about making
> this work on three OSes and with custom themes), we just want something
> trivial.

Themes are cross platform.  Though I agree that this route may be more
trouble than it's worth.

 4) Add some warning to the new tab page.  Once again, no one's really
>> thought about this seriously.  Any thoughts?
>>

> Again, inferior to the other options.  Doesn't work well for users who
> don't start with the NTP (or ones who never see it -- I don't, I don't use
> ctrl-t or the new tab button, I use middle-click and alt-enter).

Fair enough.

> If you're planning to implement something, please implement the dialog.

I'd like to hear what others think as well.