(re-adding chromium-dev)

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 5:58 PM, Fady Samuel <fadysam...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Was this done to reduce memory overhead?

No, it was done because the newly opened pages and the original pages can
script each other.  From what I understand, making sites in different
processes able to script each other is somewhere between "very hard" and
"impossible".  Darin Fisher, Charlie Reis, Adam Barth and others know much
more about this.

Doesn't this introduce a fault tolerance issue?

In that it increases the number of tabs affected by renderer crashes?  Yes,
but we don't really have a choice.  That's how the web works.

I believe MS' Gazelle project purposefully breaks scriptability here in
order to maintain more robust separation.  This pretty much breaks the web
and wouldn't be shippable as a consumer browser.

PK