On Jan 4, 2010, at 7:50 PM, Fady Samuel wrote:

> I'm not disagreeing with you. Yes, the script needs to see a coherent state
> as it executes BUT the renderer only needs a logically consistent snapshot,
> correct? So the script can work on the most current version of the DOM, while
> the renderer does its thing to produce a bitmap from the snapshot?

This could potentially be done, but if you're running V8 and the renderer on
different threads, both of them still need to be able to call directly into the
DOM and many other parts of WebCore, none of which have been designed to be
multi-threadable. The "snapshot" of the DOM would, I suspect, end up being a
copy of most of the renderer's data structures, which would significantly
increase memory use. (Yes, you could limit this by using copy-on-write
techniques, but you'd have to apply those techniques to zillions of mutation
points all over WebCore.)

—Jens