What OS is it? What FS ? I've checked with GHardy - everything works just
fine. You can create filenames with ":", ">", "<", etc. Anything except "/"
but then it's compensated by the fact that duplicated slashes are ignored.

Cygwin works too (starting from version 1.7 where support for POSIX FS
namespace was added) even if it's pretty irrelevant to Chrome discussion...