On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 3:06 PM, Victor Khimenko <k...@google.com> wrote:
> P.S. There are interesting fact related to specifically colon and MacOS.
> Classic MacOS uses colon as delimeter and you can use slash in filename.
> when they used POSIX-compliat kernel they needed some way to resolve thus
> collision. The solution was simple and elegant: they swapped colon and slash
> - so if you'll create "http:" directory old MacOS 9 program will see "http/"
> directory. Thus you can create file which looks as "http://google.com"; for
> unix-programs and for MacOS programs (even if it'll be two different files).

Long long ago, we spent an evening trying to delete a file on an SGI
machine which had been created with an embedded '/' character from an
early Mac NFS client.  The client could _create_ such files, but it
couldn't delete them... eventually we found a command or system call
or something to do a remove by inode and were golden.

-scott