On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 3:28 AM, Andrew Richards <tum...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 14, 12:50 pm, Daniel Wagner-Hall <dawag...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 5:15 AM, Andrew Richards <tum...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Furigana Injector looks cool :)
>>
>> > For jdic-chrome, rather than fiddle much further with JavaScript
>> > optimizations, I think the next step to reduce memory would be simply
>> > to do all language-related tasks in an NPAPI plugin hosted in the
>> > background page, interfaced with JavaScript. Binary compatibility for
>> > each platform would be the only major drawback I can think of. This
>> > would be a larger undertaking, but if there's enough interest
>> > expressed, I could eventually take some time to do it. There are also
>> > obviously missing interface and preferences options, etc.
>>
>> Worth throwing in that from my experience of NPAPI, you're talking
>> about about a 1 second lag for the marshalling to happen between the
>> Javascript call to the C embed and the C code actually responding
>> doing anything...
>
> Are you sure about that? Flash, for example, responds rather quickly
> to JavaScript calls. Fast enough for the YouTube player API, for
> example, to have blocking, synchronous calls that don't appear to slow
> anything down.

I don't know how Flash does things - I assumed that it uses native
code to actually handle interaction rather than Javascript interaction
- my personal experience of making scriptable NPAPI using
NPPVpluginScriptableNPObject which don't do anything computationally
intensive (i.e. should be trivially fast calls) has been significant
round-trip times... I could put together a test-harness plugin if
you'd like