I think I get where you're coming from. Firefox is built with Mozilla's XUL
and XPCOM technologies, which can be used to create custom applications
other than browsers.

Chrome is pretty narrowly focused on being a browser and application
platform for web-based technologies. There are several ongoing efforts where
we're trying to make the web platform richer, which you can read about in
the following places:

http://dev.chromium.org/developers/web-platform-status
http://code.google.com/p/nativeclient/
http://code.google.com/apis/o3d/