Thank you Erik for your answers. I've starred both bug reports.

I'll work on user notification by icon changes, it's not really a bad
idea, I think a blinking icon will attract enough user attention.

Also, I've set up a website for this extension in
http://cezarsa.github.com/chromed_bird/, you're all welcome to help
testing it. :)