I've been playing around trying to get an extension to work like
GReader and GMail notifications but for Facebook, but the crux of it
is there doesn't seem to be a way of getting a feed of only new
notifications so I can't work a way of picking up notifications...

Is there any chance somebody can give me a hand with some code (I'm
decent HTML and have good background in VB6 etc but I'm no whiz in
jQuery or anything) which can just load www.facebook.com in the
background and check for new notifications in the bottom left without
allowing Facebook to remove them as read?

Or if anyone has another idea as to how this could work please do
share :)

Thanks!