Thanks Aaron - that was it - worked fine (after close and then reopen of
Chrome).

btw: the Greasemonkey script I've been using in Firefox is Google Image
Search Direct Links
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/42073 -same as (but much longer
than) 55098 but instead of converting clicks on a thumbnail to a direct
link adds a separate "direct" link above each thumbnail so user can
choose either the containing web-page or just the image.

Question:
Are the Greasemonkey include and exclude directives (eg: "//
@include        http://images.google.*/*";) just comments when processed
by Chrome ie. the resulting Chrome script could get applied if another
web-page happened to meet its criteria?
Also, is there an easy way to "eyeball" my other installed firefox
GM-scripts and determine whether they are likely to work in Chrome "as is"?