I think this might be intentional (someone else please correct me if I'm
wrong).

In your popup, you can always use the messaging API to notify other
components in your extension, e.g.

Inside your popup page:

<script>
chrome.extension.connect().postMessage("page_action_popup");
</script>

Then inside your background (or other) page:

<script>
chrome.extension.onConnect.addListener(function(port) {
  port.onMessage.addListener(function(message) {
    if (message == "page_action_popup") {
      console.log("page action popup clicked for tab " + port.tab.id);
    }
  });
});
</script>