Yes, following on with Colin's post, will there be a clear distinction
of which extensions are strictly themes?

And will such themes be potentially linked from the Chrome Themes
Gallery?
https://tools.google.com/chrome/intl/en/themes/index.html

Or will the Chrome Themes Gallery provide other methods for users to
submit their own themes?

I certainly expect that Google will to provide a method for users to
submit themes into the Chrome Themes gallery.