Sorry, didn't realize you posted on SO after my post. That link you
edited to your post is pretty interesting. I tried the demo page at
http://www.quirksmode.org/dom/execCommand/ and their paste button
didn't work in any of the major browsers, which is weird because on
the compatibility table it says it should.