As a newbie to Chrome extension development, I'm curious to know if
there is a way to access the properties of the current document being
viewed without the need to create contents scripts. For example, if I
want my extension to access the location of the document that is
currently being viewed, I can use 'content.document.location' for
Mozilla, but is there an equivalent way to access this property in
Chrome?

If not, what is the recommended way to do so to ensure that the
extension will have access to such values?