I'm doing that right now and it returns the path to my test file instead of
the url of the page I'm currently viewing.

For example, if I'm on the page of www.amazon.com, and I click on my browser
action icon, with this line of code:
document.writeln(window.location);

I get this return value, instead of 'www.amazon.com':
chrome-extension://gfaicebfdaponcbjcedgbjiicfgplkef/test.html

Thanks.