I didnt seem to be able to get that to happen, there was allways
something drawn on the toolbar (could have missed something).
Or maybe they just got the frame image to line up with the toolbar
image.  I still dont know if this works on linux and mac but try this
theme to see what I mean.....
http://www.chromeplugins.org/google/themes-development/please-post-your-tips-here-creating-crx-themes-8903.html#post20066