I've been working on a sample for Google Analytics inside of an extension
and it turns out that there's a bug which prevents Analytics from setting
its tracking cookie inside of an extension.  You can star
http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=31867 in order to stay up
to date on the status of this issue.

~Arne