Hi George,

As Phistuck says, fetching should occur almost instantaneously -- if
XMPP notifications are enabled.  They should always be enabled, but
it's possible that firewall settings or other things get in the way
and cause them to be turned off.  You can see the status by browsing
to 'about:sync' in Chrome, and noting the 'Notifications Enabled'
field value.  What do you see here?

As for the quota errors, there are limitations imposed by the
extension API for repeated invocations of an individual bookmark-
mutating API function with the same input, where 'same input' is
defined differently depending on the function:
For bookmarks.update and bookmarks.move, "same bookmark item ID
parameter".
For bookmarks.create and bookmarks.remove, "same title of parent, same
title, and same URL".

And we have two forms of limitations on these repeated invocations
with "same input":
100 invocations per hour
More than 2 invocations per minute, sustained over 10 minutes.

These limits are one of several mechanisms we have to avoid excessive
sync traffic from bogging down our web service.  Restarting the
browser will clear the limits for that browser, but if you are really
hammering on it other precautionary measures will eventually kick in
server-side and start denying requests.

Lastly, in general, it's an interesting (and as you mention,
unsanctioned :P) use of the bookmark sync system :)  I suspect other
limitations might give you problems, particularly when a "note" gets
more than a few lines in length.

Hope that helps,
Tim