I made a discovery where this actually seems to work, but not exactly
as I would want.

If I call eg:

window.open('http://www.google.com', 'Google');

...directly it launches the new window and everything is ok.

What I would like to do though is to get some information from the
current tab. Therefore I will be calling window.open from
chrome.tabs.getSelected. Like this:

chrome.tabs.getSelected(null, function (tab){
        window.open('http://www.google.com', 'Google');
});

This does not work as the newly created window will be caught by the
popup blocker.

Any ideas on this?