I have been trying to create an extension to allow be to override a
websites autocomplete="off" on there login screen.  Eventually I will
set it up to work against any website but for now I have been trying
it against a simple selfcreated login form on a local webserver.  The
problem is, that even though I can get it to remove the autocomplete
attribute Chrome still does not offer to save the login.

Here is the extension information:

manifest.json:
{
  "name": "Remove autocomplete",
  "version": "1.0",
  "description": "Removes autocomplete=off from login forms",
  "content_scripts": [
    {
      "matches": ["http://intraserver.local/*";],
      "js": ["auto_remove.js"],
      "run_at": "document_end"
    }
  ]
}

auto_remove.js:
document.getElementById("password").removeAttribute("autocomplete");

login.html:
<head>
<title>testform</title>
</head>
    <form method="post" action="http://intraserver.local/test2.php";>
        username: <input id="username" type="text"/><br/>
        password: <input id="password" type="password"
autocomplete="off"/><br/>
        <input type="submit"/>
    </form>

As soon as I remove autocomplete="off" from the html Chrome will offer
to save the login info, but not when I remove it through the
Javascript.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Luke