No worries, it does not burst my bubble because I could careless if
someone else has done it, I am doing it for my own self knowledge.

That being said, debugging through there code helped find the answer,
apparently you have to get your javascript to run before the content
is loaded or the password manager never knows it was changed.  Which
seems rather bad in Chromes handling of these passworded forms
especially if the webpage itself switched the autocomplete option
through javascript.

// The password manager code checks for "autocomplete=off" in a
callback
// from WebCore when the DOM content is loaded.  It doesn't seem to be
// documented, but this callback seems to happen after in-page event
listeners
// fire, and before content scripts with "run_at" = "document_end" are
loaded.
// Therefore, we load this script early and then run the actual
transform code
// on an appropriate event listener.
window.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', enableAutocomplete,
false);

Thanks
Luke