I believe the last could be possible if you place a keyboard event
listener in the background page, then if it's received you execute:
  popup = window.open(chrome.extension.getURL('popup.html'))

This could be blocked by a popup blocker, so you could use tabs:
  chrome.tabs.create({url:chrome.extension.getURL
('popup.html')},function (tab) {openinTab(tab)})

Where openinTab(tab) would change your popup to work in tabs.