On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 11:23:34PM +0100, Ed W wrote:
> OK, so I have chrony built in a uclibc chroot with /usr/src/linux holding a
> 32bit kernel with HZ set to 1024 (I think).  The host is a 64bit kernel with
> HZ set to 250 - however, I don't think this should be relevant?
>
> This is then installed on my Alix (32bit only). If I set "linux_hz 1024" in
> my conf file I get:

> Apr  5 22:05:37 localhost user.info chronyd[3457]: set_config_hz=1 hz=1024
> shift_hz=7 basic_freq_scale=0.12500000 nominal_tick=977 slew_delta_tick=81
> max_tick_bias=97

> My question is why I see "hz=100" and why the 1024 config causes the fatal
> error?

Because the userspace and kernel HZ are different. The userspace HZ is
scaled so it's constant on a given architecture to avoid problems with
applications assuming a fixed HZ.

The hz value is needed to determine tick values which are valid in
the adjtimex() call.

If nominal_tick and max_tick_bias are incorrect, you may get the fatal
error when chrony is trying to compensate for a large frequency
offset or fast slewing.

> I'm fairly sure I was still getting hz=100 in the logs when built against a
> kernel source using 1000hz and 250hz. Also I only looked at the config code
> quickly, but I can't see where it's trying to read the kernel HZ value at
> compile time?

The hz value is determined at start from the current tick value, it's
assumed to be 100 or a power of 2.

> Note, seems to be working fine without any config stanzas, I just thought it
> curious?

Yes, keep it at 100 :).

--
Miroslav Lichvar