I am far away from my books and therefore unable to verify, but I have a
distant memory of an anecdote which had, IIRC, the King of the Belgians
personally serving turtle soup to WSC.

Rafal Heydel-Mankoo

Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 07:43:46 +0100
Subject: [ChurchillChat] Turtle and mock-turtle
From: j...@jrlancaster.com
To: churchillchat@googlegroups.com

A few more items:

During his campaign in Oldham
in September 1900 Churchill said that the contest was between “ . . . the
turtle soup of Tory Imperialism and the mock turtle soup of Liberal
Imperialism.”

“I hope there is no
difficulty in telling turtle from mock-turtle.” (Letter to Lord Chatfield
[Admiral of the Fleet], 18 June 1938, about the early experiments with Asdic, a
system for locating
submarines. CV5/3, 1065)

>From Anthony Montague Browne’s
Long Sunset, page 230:

“The
shorter coastal trips on Aronia had revived WSC’s memories of the many
cruises he had undertaken, some of them as First Lord of the Admiralty on the
official
yacht Enchantress. The First Lord had explored Enchantress from deck
to keel. In his investigations he had found a tank of turtles, to be turned
into soup. He was much moved by their plight and ordered their immediate
release. But turtles are normally tropical or subtropical creatures, and
Enchantress
was in the North Sea . . .”

Jim
Lancaster