From: Editor, Finest Hour <tcc-...@sneakemail.com>
To: churchillchat <churchillchat@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 18:03
Subject: [ChurchillChat] Re: Churchill’s Watch

Posted on behalf of Barry Singer:

Your email inquiry about Winston Churchill’s watch was forwarded to me by
churchillchat group.

According to Emanuel Breguet, current Directeur of Breguet, whom I spoke to
directly about this, Churchill’s pocket watch, known as “The Turnip,” was “a
rare N° 765, minute-repeating split-seconds chronograph bought in 1890 by “the
Duke of Marlborough” (uncle of Sir Winston).”

Thanks to your close attention, I see that I erroneously rendered the Duke of
Marlborough in 1890 as Churchill’scousin. He was, in fact, Churchill’s uncle
(the 8th Duke of Marlborough, George Charles Spencer-Churchill).

However, Breguet’s records are clear that the watch does not go back to 1818
and the 4th Duke (who, in fact, I note, died in 1817). I believe that the
Churchill Museum is quite wrong as well.

Personally, I will fix my mistake in the next edition of CHURCHILL STYLE.

Thanks you very much for bringing this to my attention.

Best wishes,

Barry Singer