Excellent article.   The quotes from Sir Martin Gilbert were spot-on.

I was barely 10 years old, when Winston Churchill died.   I remember
watching the excellent series *The Gallant Years *(with actor Richard
Burton reading Churchill's words)with my parents, so I was aware that
Churchill was someone really important.   Even back then, I was interested
in how he led Britain in WW2.

And I knew he was half-American, on his mother's side.   What I didn't know
*then
*was: his maternal grandfather was born about an hour south of where I
lived, in Upstate New York!

BTW: the author got the Funeral site *wrong.*   It wasn't at *Westminster
Abbey.   It was St Paul's Cathedral!*    The singing of *The Battle Hymn of
the Republic *at the Service still gives me goosebumps.

(Ms.) Pat Finnegan