On domestic animals, see Fred Glueckstein, "'Cats Look Down on You':
Churchill's Feline Menagerie," *Finest Hour 139, *the most comprehensive
survey of the cat population available. On domestic animals generally see
my "Churchill and Animals," Part 1, *The Churchillian* (Fulton), Winter
2014-15, on dogs, cats, birds and fish. There will be no Part 2, in
deference to Piers Brendon's upcoming book.

An authoritative look at all his animals was by former secretary Grace
Hamblin's "Chartwell Memories," delivered at the 1987 ICS Dallas
conference, the latest version of which was reprinted in *Finest Hour* 117.
All these should be on the respective websites but if you can't find them
contact me offline for pdf copies by email.

WSC was given a marmalade tom by Jock Colville late in life, named him
Jock, and asked that there always be such a cat in residence. Jock V
recently retired to Scotland and Chartwell obtained his successor from a
local animal shelter.

Churchill, Anthony Montague Browne said, had an extraordinary love of
animals for a Victorian. Of course in 1908 when he went to Africa he shot
big game like everybody else in those days (and there was a lot more of it).