On Sat, Sep 17, 2016 at 8:56 AM, PatFinn1940 <pfinn2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Jon--
>
> This is an odd bit of casting, indeed.   The only film I've seen Oldman in
> is *Air Force One, *where he played a nasty Russian ultranationalist
> terrorist.   I'd have to see a trailer for *Darkest Hour *first, before
> deciding if he's any good or not!

Searching for the actor on Google Images produces many photographs of Gary
Oldman, in his own persona and in many different movie roles, and none of
them bring Winston Churchill to my mind at all.  Maybe he'll surprise us,
but I'd like to see this chapter in Churchill's life done memorably by some
actor who captures the historical person.  I've mourned for many years that
Robert Hardy's Wilderness Years series ended with his appointment as First
Lord of the Admiralty, instead of continuing two more episodes to cover the
"phony war" period in 1939-40, and then the German attack in the West, his
appointment as Prime Minister, and his struggle against Halifax etc. to
fight on.