I couldn't agree more Larry. De Robeck 'turned tail' when he lost those 3
destroyers. Roger Keyes was unfortunately junior enough to be overridden by
others, but was the man who would've pushed on to win through. His
testimony afterwards was very clear about the squandered opportunity.
However De Robeck recovered his courage later on - only to be overridden
from higher up.

 The whole campaign was cursed by doubtful, hesitating commanders on the
spot, a treacherous First Sea Lord (Fisher), a vacillating Minister for War
(Kitchener), obstructive military top-brass (Munro especially) and
desperately weak political leaders (Asquith).
A great opportunity was missed,  in my opinion, to shorten the war and save
thousands of lives. Roger Keyes' words , "my God, it would have been so
easy!" when he visited it again after the war probably summed it up best.
An utterly tragic missed opportunity.
Lincoln

Lincoln Jansz