AUCTION:

SCARFE AT SOTHEBY'S
05 APRIL 2017 | 10:30 AM BST
LONDON

Estimate: £100,000 - £150,000

AN IMPORTANT HISTORICAL DRAWING: ONE OF THE LAST PORTRAITS OF CHURCHILL FROM
LIFE.

THE LAST DRAWING OF WINSTON CHURCHILL IN HIS FINAL APPEARANCE AT PARLIAMENT IN
JULY 1964.

Gerald Scarfe
CHURCHILL IN THE HOUSE OF COMMONS 960 by 780mm. (on four sheets), fine charcoal
drawing, signed lower left, mounted, framed and glazed, occasional creases and
some light browning   (LOT 134)
PROVENANCE
National Portrait Gallery, “Scarfe at the N.P.G.”, 2 October 1998 – 5 April
1999; Portcullis House, House of Commons, "Hung, Drawn and Slaughtered - Five
Decades of Political Caricatures by Gerald Scarfe", 20 September - 27 November
2008

Churchill was first elected in the 1900 general election but did not attend the
opening of Parliament that December. He first took his seat in the House of
Commons on 14 February 1901. Over six decades later he made his final
appearance on 28 July 1964.

Scarfe was commissioned by The Times to record the occasion. He notes ‘I
sketched from the public gallery, and I was shocked to see how he had
deteriorated. We knew only the British bulldog Churchill: cigar clenched
between teeth, steely eyes, and the famous two-finger salute…’

On 29 July 1964, The Times published a four column report (‘Commons express
their admiration and affection for Sir Winston Churchill’) on page 8 together
with a photograph and further report (‘A Churchillian Occasion in Commons’) on
page 10. The reports note that ‘the Chamber was crowded. Members squatted in
the aisles and stood six deep at the Bar of the House’. Churchill, himself, was
described as a ‘squat, hunched figure with the fiery eyes’. But there was no
Scarfe drawing.

As the artist states ‘…The Times refused to print my drawing, saying that
Churchill’s wife, Clementine, would be upset when the paper dropped through the
letter-box in the morning.’

Less than six months later, Churchill was dead.

Scarfe had complained about his treatment by The Times to Peter Cook who,
according to the artist, ‘saw that the drawing was used for the cover of
Private Eye when Churchill died’; a cropped version of the drawing was
published on 5 February 1965.

Following exhibition in Scarfe’s Hung, Drawn and Slaughtered exhibition at
Portcullis House, House of Commons in 2008, the portrait has been displayed in
this location until recently.

Scarfe’s work on Churchill was not the only time he sketched in the House of
Commons. He notes ‘I was given special permission by the Sergeant-at-Arms in
the House of Commons to sketch Parliamentary members from the public gallery.’
One result was a huge oil painting of the House of Commons in session on 27
June 1965. That painting remains on permanent loan to Portcullis House, House
of Commons.

Website:
http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2017/scarfe-at-sothebys-l17417/lot.134.html