http://worlddefensereview.com/pham111606.shtml
Strategic Interests

by J. Peter Pham, Ph.D.
World Defense Review columnist

A U.S. Security Agenda in Africa - Part II

to Part I

Since its inception, this column has been dedicated to the proposition that
that Sub-Saharan Africa which, even in the best of times, has historically been
treated as something of a stepchild by inside-the-Beltway policymakers, is
actually more now more vital to U.S. strategic interests than almost any region
of the world other than the Middle East. And, Africa will only become even more
significant in the coming years as no less a source than the National
Intelligence Council predicts that, within less than a decade, we will be
importing more of our hydrocarbons from the Gulf of Guinea than from the entire
Middle East.

Yet, despite this important datum, we have yet to begin developing the type of
comprehensive strategic approach to the continent that its pivotal position
vis-à-vis our national security and power demand.

As a modest contribution to this end and in the hope of stimulating some
discussion as the 110th Congress transitions into office, with last week's
column, I began briefly surveying what I regard as the "Top 10" priorities for
a U.S. security agenda in Africa. As I noted, any number of other issues,
security and otherwise, affecting Africa could have been included in an agenda,
but I purposely decided to limit my list to the ten security-related issues
that are most likely to require the immediate attention of the U.S. government
over the course of the next year. In addition to the five issues covered last
week - the Islamist radicals in Somalia, the future of Nigeria, the genocide in
Darfur, the restoration of normality to Côte d'Ivoire, and Chinese expansion
throughout Africa - other pressing concerns include:

Preparing for the Transition in Guinea (and Elsewhere). As I have previously
reported, Guinea, which supplies North America with nearly 50 percent of its
bauxite (the ore which contributes the primary ingredient for the production of
aluminum), faces a grave crisis, possibly even civil war, with the impending
death of its ailing longtime strongman, General Lansana Conté, who has been in
power since 1984. Similar situations prevail in other resource-rich African
states with long-tenured rulers, including the Gabon's Omar Bongo (38 years),
Equatorial Guinea's Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo (27 years), Zimbabwe's Robert
Mugabe (26 years), and Cameroon's Paul Biya (24 years). As Africa becomes
increasingly more important to American interests even as our "hard power"
resources are increasingly stretched, U.S. policy needs to shift to privileging
a modest amount of preventative engagement over far costlier operations to pick
up the pieces after regime collapse.

Developing Maritime Capacity. As I have argued in this column, when one looks
at risk - that is, threat, vulnerability, and cost - nowhere is the risk, both
to U.S. economic and security interests and those of African states, greater
than in the waters of the Gulf of Guinea from whence flow an ever-growing
proportion of America's hydrocarbons. Congress and the President need to make
adequate budgetary provision for increased naval engagement with and
capacity-building - both blue-water and brown-water - of our partners on the
continent, on its eastern littoral as well as the western coast.

Preventing Terrorist Flows from the Middle East and Checking the Rise of
Militant Islamism across the Continent. The rise of militant Islamism is not a
challenge that will be met in one year or even ten; it is a concern that
requires constant attention as well as constant support for the long term
initiatives that alone check the rise of radicalism - and this means that
Congress must maintain the funding commitment year in and year out. As this
column has noted, while Islam is, in many respects, an "African religion" that
has interwoven itself into the continent's social fabric, the generally
pacific, syncretistic variety of the faith is being swept aside by a militant
Islamism imported from the Middle East that is not only transforming local
societies, but also threatening to turn an increasingly significant region into
an environment hospitable to extremist violence (as the bizarre Maitatsine
episode in Nigeria demonstrated), with consequences reverberate far beyond the
continent.

Closely connected to concerns about the rise of militant Islamist ideologies in
Africa are the flows of actual terrorists. This column previously documented
the Middle East links to Africa's conflicts, al-Qaeda's strategy of shifting
operations to Africa, and Hezbollah's network on the continent, among other
connections. These facts notwithstanding, for a variety of reasons, many U.S.
diplomatic and intelligence officials persist in minimizing links between
challenges faced in Africa and America's war on terror, largely centered on the
Middle East. As a result, counterterrorism resources for Africa have been
modest at best despite the fact that the conditions which favor the emergence
and success of terrorist groups elsewhere - corruption, lack of government
control, little understood "informal networks," etc. - are present in abundance
in Sub-Saharan Africa.

Helping Rebuild Liberia. While Liberia is one of the smallest African states
and, after the rape of its natural resources by competing warlords during its
two civil wars, boasts no significant strategic assets, it nonetheless has
longstanding historical and affective ties with the U.S. These links are
well-known in Africa, arguably better known there than on this side of the
Atlantic. In fact, many African leaders gage U.S. commitment to and staying
power in Africa by what America does or does not do in Liberia: our credibility
across the continent is directly linked to our involvement in Liberia. As the
first anniversary of President Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf's inauguration approaches,
the honeymoon period is over. Now is the time for America to give sustained
support to that Liberia's efforts on a host of issues, including infrastructure
reconstruction, security sector reform, constitutional renewal, and
accountability for past abuses (not just for former president Charles Taylor,
but also other offenders - some of whom are members of the current Liberian
government - as well as his foreign sponsors, including, as this column has
argued, Libya's Mu'ammar Qadhafi).

Laying the Foundations for Long Term Military Engagement. As Africa becomes
progressively viewed in a strategic perspective by Americans and the U.S.
strengthens its security commitments across the continent, it becomes
increasingly apparent that a new architecture is needed for the engagement. A
unified combatant command for this area of responsibility makes greater sense
than the current set-up whereby most of Africa falls under the aegis of the
U.S. military's European Command (EUCOM), with the balance coming under the
operational control of Central Command (CENTCOM) and, to some extent, the
Pacific Command (PACOM). A single Africa command would help the U.S. military
focus better focus and coordinate its efforts to deny sanctuary to militants
who might otherwise find African havens in the same way that al-Qaeda
cultivated bases in Sudan and Afghanistan in the 1990s as well as develop
regional military-to-military relationships through ongoing educational
programs like the International Military Education and Training (IMET) program
as well as capacity building multilateral initiatives like the Trans-Sahara
Counter-Terrorism Initiative (TSCTI). These programs pay a rich dividend not
just in the actual protection of critical infrastructure, but also political
good will. Furthermore, a unified command for Africa would be better positioned
to respond quickly to the type of complex transnational crises that are likely
to continue to crop up on the continent. However, a new command cannot be built
overnight; the foundations for this significant transformation must be prepared
by our political leadership in Washington beginning now.

In short, what is needed in Africa is a sustained, long-term strategic
engagement - diplomatic and developmental as well as military and security -
that anchors Sub-Saharan Africa firmly in America's orbit before terrorists or
others establish footholds. Fortunately, albeit not without irony, the relative
neglect to date of Africa in U.S. strategic considerations has also left policy
in this area relatively unscathed by the bitter partisan battles which have
marked most foreign policy discourse these last few years. In fact, legislative
advocates for Africa have regularly bridged the partisan divide during the
109th Congress. Hence if the administration and the leadership of the incoming
Congress want to demonstrate that they can work together on foreign policy,
Africa might be a good starting point. While it is would probably be overly
optimistic to expect that last week's bipartisan post-election bonhomie will
survive the winter in a city like Washington, it should at least be hoped that
the U.S. security agenda in Africa might nonetheless be advanced in the
interests of both Americans and Africans.

- J. Peter Pham is Director of the Nelson Institute for International and
Public Affairs and a Research Fellow of the Institute for Infrastructure and
Information Assurance at James Madison University in Harrisonburg, Virginia. He
is also an adjunct fellow at the Foundation for the Defense of Democracies in
Washington, D.C. In addition to the study of terrorism and political violence,
his research interests lie at the intersection of international relations,
international law, political theory, and ethics, with particular concentrations
on the implications for United States foreign policy and African states as well
as religion and global politics.

Dr. Pham is the author of over one hundred essays and reviews on a wide variety
of subjects in scholarly and opinion journals on both sides of the Atlantic and
the author, editor, or translator of over a dozen books. Among his recent
publications are Liberia: Portrait of a Failed State (Reed Press, 2004), which
has been critically acclaimed by Foreign Affairs, Worldview, Wilson Quarterly,
American Foreign Policy Interests, and other scholarly publications, and Child
Soldiers, Adult Interests: The Global Dimensions of the Sierra Leonean Tragedy
(Nova Science Publishers, 2005).

In addition to serving on the boards of several international and national
think tanks and journals, Dr. Pham has testified before the U.S. Congress and
conducted briefings or consulted for both Congressional and Executive agencies.

© 2006 J. Peter Pham

--

Also by J. Peter Pham:
. A U.S. Security Agenda in Africa - Part I [09 Nov 06]
A U.S. Security Agenda in Africa - Part II [16 Nov 06]
. The Coming Chaos in Guinea [02 Nov 06]
. Update: Islamist Radicals Still on the March in Somalia [26 Oct 06]
. In Nigeria False Prophets Are Real Problems [19 Oct 06]
. Still at Large: Qadhafi the War Criminal [12 Oct 06]
. Nigeria at the Crossroads [05 Oct 06]
. The Growth of Militant Islamism in East Africa [28 Sep 06]
. Financing Somalia's Islamist Warlords [21 Sep 06]
. West Africa and the Coming Naval Battle in al-Qaeda's Economic War against
America [14 Sep 06]
. America's Somali Policy Still Dangerously Adrift [08 Sep 06]
. Iran's Congo Connection [05 Sep 06]
. China Goes on Safari [24 Aug 06]
. Niger Delta Blues [17 Aug 06]
. Hezbollah's African Network [10 Aug 06]
. Forgotten Interests: Why Côte d'Ivoire matters [03 Aug 06]
. Al Qaeda moves to Africa [27 Jul 06]
. Dangerous Fiction: A Tale of Two Cities, Part II [20 Jul 06]
. Dangerous Fiction: A Tale of Two Cities, Part I [13 Jul 06]
. Sheikh Aweys Won't Go Away (At Least by Himself) [06 Jul 06]
. General Hayden, Invest in the Arms Trade [15 Jun 06]
. Faith-Based Realpolitik [08 Jun 06]
. REM: Islamist Terrorist Regime in Khartoum [01 Jun 06]
. A modest proposal for Darfur [26 May 06]
. Keeping an eye on the "peacekeepers" [18 May 06]
. Facing Reality in Somalia [11 May 06]
. Militant Islamism's Shadow Rises Over Sub-Saharan Africa [04 May 06]
. The Middle East Link to Africa's Conflicts [27 Apr 06]
. The War on Terrorism's Forgotten Front [20 Apr 06]

NOTE: This is an opinion piece, not owned by World Defense Review, and WDR
accepts no responsibility whatsoever for the accuracy or inaccuracy of the
content of this or any other story published on this website. Copyright and all
rights for this story (and all other stories by the author) are held by the
author.