"there is concern that what he has planned
  will be worse than HR 1955."
  Internet Attacked as Tool of Terror
http://www.truthout.org/article/internet-attacked-tool-terror
  Friday 30 May 2008
  by: Matt Renner, t r u t h o u t | Report

  Terror Mouse
  http://www.truthout.org/files/images/M_053008J.preview.jpg

(Artwork: For Sunday Midday)

    A controversial plan to study and profile domestic terrorism   was scrapped
after popular push back, however, the spirit   of the legislation lives on in
Senator Joe Lieberman's office.       HR 1955,
  "The Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act of 2007"
  passed the House in October 2007 with almost unanimous support.

  The bill immediately came under fire from civil liberties watchdogs
  because of what many saw as a deliberate targeting
  of Muslims and Arabs and the possible chilling effect
  it might have on free speech.

  The original bill intended to set up a government commission
  to investigate the supposed threat of domestically produced terrorists
  and the ideologies that underpin their radicalization.

  The ten-member commission was to be empowered to
  "hold hearings and sit and act at such times and places,
  take such testimony, receive such evidence, and administer such
  oaths as the Commission considers advisable to carry out its duties."

  The bill also singled out the Internet as a vehicle
  for terrorists to spread their ideology
  with the intention of recruiting and training new terrorists.

  After significant public pressure, the bill stalled in the Senate.
  However, Senator Joe Lieberman (D-Connecticut),
  the current chairman of the Senate Homeland Security
  and Governmental Affairs Committee,
   has embraced the thrust of the legislation
  and has been working to push forward some of the goals
  of the original bill, including an attempt
  to weed out terrorist propaganda from the Internet.

  Jim Dempsey, vice president for public policy at the non-profit
  Center for Democracy and Technology has spoken out
  against the assault on Internet speech.

  "I have more concern about what Senator Lieberman is doing
  than about HR 1955. [Lieberman] is no friend of civil liberties,"
  Dempsey told Truthout, adding

  "there is concern that what he has planned
  will be worse than HR 1955."

  Dempsey spoke out in favor of the spirit of HR 1955,
  calling the outpouring of criticism "hypothetical and hyperbolic."

   In his view, the study of radicalization and home grown
  ideologically based violence is worthwhile. However,
  he objects to recent actions taken by Lieberman.

  On May 19, Lieberman sent a letter to Google Inc.'s CEO
  Eric Schmidt demanding that Google
  "immediately remove content produced
  by Islamist terrorist organizations from YouTube."

  "By taking action to curtail the use of YouTube to disseminate
  the goals and methods of those who wish to kill innocent civilians,
  Google will make a singularly important contribution
  to this important national effort," Lieberman wrote.

  Google fired back, refusing to take off material that did not violate
  its community guidelines.
  "While we respect and understand his views,
  YouTube encourages free speech and defends everyone's right
  to express unpopular points of view," Schmidt said in response,
  adding,
  "we believe that YouTube is a richer and more relevant platform
  for users precisely because it hosts a diverse range of views,
  and rather than stifle debate, we allow our users to view all
  acceptable content and make up their own minds."

  Google removed some of the videos that violated their rules
  against posting violence and hate speech, but made a point to write,
   "most of the videos, which did not contain
  violent or hate speech content, were not removed
  because they do not violate our Community Guidelines."

  "I think that Senator Lieberman's actions vis-a-vis Google
  were improper," Dempsey said.
  "A blame the messenger approach doesn't make sense
  as a response to radical violence. The notion that taking
  the videos off of YouTube will accomplish anything
  shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the nature of the Internet.
  Take the videos off of YouTube
  and they'll appear elsewhere."

  Senator Lieberman's staff failed to return calls for comment.

  A New York Times editorial called Lieberman's claims about the
  Internet "ludicrous," and warned of an attempt to censor the Internet.

  Lieberman defended himself in a response letter, saying,
  "the peril here is not to legitimate dissent
  but to our fundamental right of self-defense."

  According to civil liberties activists, Chairman Lieberman
  has been spearheading an effort to censor speech on the Internet.
  His committee recently released a report titled
  "Violent Islamist Extremism,
  The Internet, And The Home Grown Terrorism Threat," (PDF)
  a report detailing the use of web sites and Internet tools
  to spread pro-terrorism propaganda.

  The report repeatedly blames Internet web sites and chat rooms
  for "radicalization," calling the web sites "portals" through which
  potential terrorists can "participate in the global violent Islamist
  movement and recruit others to their cause."

  As civil liberties groups have pointed out, the report focuses
  solely on terrorism seen as associated with Islam.

  Also, the report relies heavily on experts from inside the US
  national security apparatus, with only one research study cited.
  The study by the New York Police Department details
  a hypothetical four step "radicalization process".

  The report was criticized by a coalition of civil liberties groups
  as "statistically and methodologically flawed,"
  in a letter they wrote in response to the report.

  Caroline Fredrickson, director of the ACLU Washington, DC,
   legislative office, said that Lieberman
  "is trying to decide what he thinks should go on the Internet,"
  which, she said,
  "reeks of an interest in censoring all sorts of different dialogs."

  "If someone criticizes Israel's treatment of Palestinians
  and favors Hamas, should that be censored?"
  Fredrickson asked.

    Matt Renner is an editor
  and Washington reporter for Truthout.

    Comments      If you want to give the FBIFri, 05/30/2008 - 18:13 —
Anonymous (not verified)   If you want to give the FBI and the NSA the power to
eavesdrop
  on Americans without a warrant,
  why interfere with open communication on the internet?
  I would think these agencies would have an easier time finding threats
  to national security if those threats publicly identify themselves.
  Is Lieberman after results or political intimidation?

  i'm inclined to agree with

    Fri, 05/30/2008 - 18:01 — cindi burkey (not verified)   i'm inclined to
agree with the people who want to preserve
  the internet in a way that gives power to each individual
  to speak and demonstrate, and hear. other media
  --ways of getting information-- is very much controlled
  by money interests--- and is not accessible to everyone;
  in fact the more it is controlled by powerful interests,
  the more it concentrates their power. having search engines
  to find answers to questions has changed so much for us -
  - where before you had to hoof it to the library or spend days
  and nights investigating on foot or phone just to even find
  the different sides of a story, now you can type your question
  into a box and get lots and lots of answers, each calibrated
  in different ways----this is so precious so worth every effort
  to preserve and every caution along the way. CB

  I doubt that Lieberman, et

    Fri, 05/30/2008 - 17:10 — Eric Rogers (not verified)   I doubt that
Lieberman, et al, will be satisfied
  until they have all the power and we have no rights at all.

  Of course the Internet can

    Fri, 05/30/2008 - 16:26 — PGOBrien (not verified)   Of course the Internet
can be used
  to recruit people to an ideological cause.
  It can also be used to refute an ideological cause.
  That's what "free speech" is all about.
  Other than promoting a crime (which is prohibited),
  you get to say things that others object to,
  and they get to say things back.
  And most of us get to listen and ponder and make up our minds.
  The US Mail was a useful tool for recruiting, before the Internet.
  So is free association and the right to gather together
  to discuss and share our ideas.

  Should we allow our mail to be opened,
  and should we put cameras in our homes now,
  so no one can call a secret meeting and recruit people
  to Radical Islamic Fascism (which seems to be
  the only terrorism we're concerned about these days -
  - we are incredibly silly, sometimes).

  If Lieberman is successful in censoring the Internet,
  he will be part of an establishment that will then
  have all the power to decide what we get to hear and read.

  What he will have accomplished will have little to do
          with fighting terrorism and so much more to do
  with establishing a system
  that looks far too much like the rule of the pigs in Animal Farm.

  Given what Lieberman has

    Fri, 05/30/2008 - 16:23 — Anonymous (not verified)   Given what Lieberman
has become,
   maybe it's a good thing Gore lost.

  This attack on Internet

    Fri, 05/30/2008 - 16:10 — Anonymous (not verified)   This attack on
Internet content is nothing less
  than an attack on our Freedom of speech.
  First, the Neocons will take 'just a little bite' as an appetizer
  ...then they will be all set to devour the whole meal
  ...since their foot will already be in the door.

   Sen. Lieberman is a well-placed tool for the ultimate purpose
  of taking away the very essence of what makes America..
  America. It is a form of ' waging war by deception.'
  Wake up , people, and put a stop to this lie
  that they are protecting our freedom,
  while they are taking it away with a Lie, bite by bite.

  Lie-berman is well- named.
  First he is on one side ..then he is on another.
  I call him a wolf in sheep's clothing .
  Now he has shown his true colors for all to see.
  danger here was

    Fri, 05/30/2008 - 15:46 — Anonymous (not verified)   The great danger here
was suggested by testimony before
   the Committee on HR1955 by a staff member of the
  Simon Wiesenthal Center who specifically identified
  the 911truth movement as an example of a domestic terrorist
  organization using the internet to foment terrorism.

  This is also a move by the right-wing to suppress sharing
  of information and evidence concerning the "official" explanation
  of 911 and who is actually responsible for it.

  The scary thing is that

    Fri, 05/30/2008 - 15:43 — Ceana (not verified)   The scary thing is that
Lieberman, who is now called
  McCAin's attack dog (but he actually looks more like
  that cartoon dog with the saggy jowls, Droopy)
  was the VP candidate in 2000.
  How did this aHole become chairman of anything?
  Can't Reid replace him?

  This Sen.Lieberman is a tool

    Fri, 05/30/2008 - 15:39 — Anonymous (not verified)   This Sen.Lieberman is
a tool of the NeoCons and it should be
  obvious to any thinking person what the ultimate goal really is.

  It is nothing less than an attack on Free Speech.

  This whole so-called War on Terror was misnamed
  ...it should be called the War of Terror
   originating right here in the USA.

  Bush White House press

    Fri, 05/30/2008 - 15:35 — Anonymous (not verified)   Bush White House press
releases constitute a clear and present
  danger to the peace and tranquility of the United States of America.
  Bush White House press releases flood the channels
  of public communication with dissimulation,
  disinformation, and diversion.
  Since we're talking tools,

    Fri, 05/30/2008 - 15:12 — Anonymous (not verified)   Since we're talking
tools, Lieberman is a tool:
  a tool of his spiritual ego. Kind of like tweezers.
  Interesting that he's not

    Fri, 05/30/2008 - 14:34 — Anonymous (not verified)   Interesting that he's
not going after
  ultra-right wing AMERICAN terrorists.
  Not the abortion clinic bombers, not the radical political
  and religious groups right here.
  No, it's all Islamists who are bad.
  Could SPAM be considered

    Fri, 05/30/2008 - 13:54 — Anonymous (not verified)   Could SPAM be
considered terrorist propaganda??
  False Advertising?? Unsolicited Mail?? Predatory Lending??
  FIAT MONEY of the BEAST POWER??!! The List goes on....
  When is Reid going to do

    Fri, 05/30/2008 - 13:49 — Mary (not verified)   When is Reid going to do
something about Lieberzeller???
  Something like a cross

    Fri, 05/30/2008 - 13:27 — Anonymous (not verified)   Something like a cross
between the House Unamerican Activities
  Commitee and the Committee of Public Safety -
  - Robespierre et al. And I do mean 'cross.'

  Add a comment: