--- In cia-drugs@yahoogroups.com, RoadsEnd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Lost a big one:

http://www.drugpolicy.org/news/110508electionres.cfm

Maybe you're delighted by yesterday's election results; maybe you're
disappointed. Either way, you hold the key to overturning our
country's punitive drug policies. Part of what makes the Drug Policy
Alliance special is the fact that our members span the political
spectrum and sometimes agree on nothing more than a shared commitment
to ending the disastrous drug war.

While President-elect Obama is not going to make ending the drug war
his #1 priority, he has said that America should start treating drug
use as a health issue instead of a criminal justice issue. He supports
repealing the federal syringe ban and ending the DEA's raids on
medical marijuana patients. He is also co-sponsor of Senator Biden's
bill to eliminate the 100-to-1 crack/powder cocaine sentencing disparity.

Moreover, many Democrats in leadership positions in Congress support
drug policy reform, ranging from Speaker Nancy Pelosi to
Representative Dana Rohrabacher.

In the months ahead, President-elect Obama will choose a new Drug Czar
for our nation, and members of Congress will put together legislation
to overhaul his agency. We have an opportunity to re-shape drug policy
for a generation.

My enthusiasm is tempered, though, by the defeat of Proposition 5 in
California.  We knew from early polling that a substantial majority of
Californians favored this major reform of the state's prisons and drug
sentencing policies. But a sordid coalition of the prison guards'
union, the beer distributors' association, gambling interests,
fanatical anti-drug groups and craven politicians raised $3.5 million
in the last few weeks of the campaign to run deceitful TV ads across
the state. Ultimately we could not compete with their lies and scare
tactics.

But I know from experience that there's opportunity to be found in
every defeat.  We built new coalitions and found new allies, injected
new perspectives into the public debate, and increased our stature and
ability to shape future policies.  We also won respect throughout the
state and the nation for taking on the Goliath of the
prison-industrial complex.

I feel energized like never before, and so do my colleagues at the
Drug Policy Alliance and our many allies in the growing movement to
end the drug war. I hope you do, too.

Ethan Nadelmann
Executive Director
Drug Policy Alliance