On January 9, 2010 5:50:14 PM -0500 Frank Cusack <fcus...@fcusack.com> wrote:
As a test:
  # idmap get-namemap frank.cusack
  No identity type determined.

# idmap get-namemap winuser:frank.cusack
Querying DNS for SRV RRs named '_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs' for 'XYZ.COM'
Found _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.USF1.COM 42 IN SRV [0][100] dc1.loc.xyz.com:389
ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s() to server dc1.loc.xyz.com port 389 failed. (Local error) Error: could not perform directory-based name mapping operation (Internal error)

Not sure how to get an error from windows.  The event viewer is insanely
complicated.

I do notice that in the XYZ.COM/Computers container that the machine
account has a "DNS name" field of "fs1.XYZ.COM" instead of
"fs1.loc.XYZ.COM".  The hostname of the machine itself is fully
qualified and is the full name fs1.loc.XYZ.COM.  It doesn't matter
if I join the domain with

 smbadm join -u frank.cusack loc.XYZ.COM
or
 smbadm join -u frank.cusack XYZ.COM

Both cases yield the same result with the machine account having
the incorrectly DNS name field.  That field is not editable in
the Windows GUI.

If I use the domainname cmd to set the NIS domainname, this makes
no difference.

When I use samba and join the domain, the DNS field does get filled
in correctly.

-frank