Frank Cusack wrote:
I do notice that in the XYZ.COM/Computers container that the machine
account has a "DNS name" field of "fs1.XYZ.COM" instead of
"fs1.loc.XYZ.COM".  The hostname of the machine itself is fully
qualified and is the full name fs1.loc.XYZ.COM.  It doesn't matter
if I join the domain with

 smbadm join -u frank.cusack loc.XYZ.COM
or
 smbadm join -u frank.cusack XYZ.COM

Both cases yield the same result with the machine account having
the incorrectly DNS name field.  That field is not editable in
the Windows GUI.

I believe that could indeed cause the kind of problems you're seeing.

Could you describe your actual domain topology? Feel free to anonymize, but retain the domain-subdomain structure. In particular, I need to know where this Solaris system is, where the Active Directory domain controller is, and how the Active Directory domain relates to the two of them. "klist -k" as root would also be useful.

I believe there are issues when the DC is not itself a member of the domain. I know there are such issues with kclient, see 6899608.