Folks,

On my clean OpenSolaris machine, here is a simple experiment that I did after
joining the AD.

# zfs create –o casesensitivy=mixed mypool/cifs1
# chmod 777 /mypool/cifs1
# zfs sharesmb=on mypool/cifs1
# zfs sharesmb=abe=true mypool/cifs1

I don't think the last command is really needed for my experiment but I am
still putting it in here.

Note that I have not done anything with idmap. Command "idmap list" does not
return anything.

Now, from a Windows machine, I create a file from account User1. When I log
back in as User2, I could not access the file. This behavior is as expected.
The file had ownership/full control only by User1.

It appears I can have Windows users and groups just the way I want and set up
access permissions from Windows file properties dialog box just the way I want.
I don't need to touch the backend OpenSolaris box at all.

So what exactly is "idmap" for? Things seems to work just as expected without
doing anything with idmap.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
Peter