On 07/18/11 09:04 PM, Chris Ridd wrote:
On 18 Jul 2011, at 08:39, Ian Collins wrote:

Hello,

I'm investigating replacing Samba in an organisation with about 1000 users
(most have both Unix and windows accounts) that still uses an NT4 domain.  All
authentication is through Solaris based LDAP.

I am struggling to see a way, given the lack of LDAP support in workgroup mode.
 I'm also wondering why LDAP isn't supported when it is so widely used to
authenticate windows users.

Has anyone managed this?
It *is* a rather annoying restriction. FWIW I think you can get away with just
having a user entry in /var/smb/smbpasswd on the server with the rest of the
user's details coming from LDAP. I'm not sure if that's a bug or not, but it is
useful.

So if there was a way to build the smbpasswd file without using passwd(1) and
its partner in crime pam_smb_passwd.so that might well do the job.

Cheers, I might be able to get away with that, but keeping 1000+ users in sync is a pain.

I don't see what's hard about LDAP authentication in workgroup mode given directory based mapping.

--
Ian.