From: Matthieu Patou [mailto:m...@samba.org]
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 4:50 PM
To: Obaid Farooqi
Cc: MSSolve Case Email; p...@tridgell.net; cifs-proto...@samba.org
Subject: Re: [REG:111091961780016] Re: - About stage_header data

On 18/10/2011 01:29, Obaid Farooqi wrote:
> Hi Mathieu:
> We have finished our investigation on your questions regarding MS-FRS1. I am
> providing answers to your questions in a Q&A format for clarity.
>
> Q. In particular, paragraph 2.2.3.2 CHANGE_ORDER_COMMAND define a
> status attribute but in 3.3.4.4.7 we are told about a "state" attribute:
>
> A. Your observation is correct that “state” and “status” are the same. In a
> future release of MS-FRS1, “ULONG Status;” will be replaced by “ULONG State;”
> in section “2.2.3.2   CHANGE_ORDER_COMMAND”.
>
> Q. … in the dump (from a windows
> server) the status filed had the value
> FRSRPC_CO_STATUS_REMOTE_CO_STAGING_STARTED (0x6) not 1 not 5.
>
> It's stated that "PartnerAckSeqNumber MUST be set to 0." in the dump
> partern_ack_sequence_number is set to 418.
> It's stated that "AckVersion MUST be set to 0." in the dump ackVersion is set
> to 129598581805743814.
>
> A. My code browsing as well as my debugging confirms that the values
> documented are correct. I have requested a binary dump of the message from
> you couple times but have not received anything from you yet. I assume, as I
> mentioned before, there is a problem with NDR dump that you used. If you
> believe your dump is correct please send me the binary dump of the whole PDU
> and I’ll be happy to hand-parse it and go from there.
See the attached binary dump.
It's not the exact dump that I parsed with ndrdump in my first email but it's
similar

> Q. Can you tell me what is the use of the command's flag for the upstream
> partner (the receiver of the file).
>
> A. FRS1 code is deprecated and is very old. It does not follow lot of coding
> best practices that are considered normal and routine nowadays. My code
> browsing shows that there is no error checking performed on the flags in
> change order by the receiver. The use of MUST for setting these flags in the
> document is an indication that if these flags are not set correctly then
> errors will happen on the receiver. Flags in change orders are used to
> process the change order correctly and without them replication would not
> function correctly. Receiver assumes the flags as sent by the upstream
> partner are correct and processing decisions are made based on that. The
> function of each flag and the values that need to be set is documented in
> MS-FRS1. If you have a specific question about a flag or flags, please feel
> free to contact us.
Ok but there is two ways for the downstream partner to indicate a problem to
the upstream: reply to the DCE / RPC request with a rpc status not OK or send a
request with command REMOTE_CO_DONE but with a status not ok (in the REMOTE_CO
chunk).

> I noticed that your terminology does not agree with MS-FRS1 in terms of
> upstream and downstream partner. As per section “1.1   Glossary” of MS-FRS1:
>
> Downstream Partner: The partner that receives change orders, files, and
> folders.
> Upstream Partner: The partner that sends out change orders, files, and
> folders.
Oh thanks I tend to mix them ....

--
Matthieu Patou