http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/IF02Ae01.html

Jun 2, 2007

When progress is against the law
By Chan Akya

Hot on the heels of the pro-secular movement in Turkey over the past few weeks
comes news of a less tolerant variation in the case of Malaysia, where a court
this week struck down the request of a Muslim woman to convert to Christianity,
ruling that her only option is to appeal to the sharia (Islamic law) courts.
The incident occurred barely two weeks after a Muslim woman married to a Hindu
man was forcibly separated from him and jailed. In both cases, the courts have
played to the galleries of the Islamic bumiputera (ethnic Malay) contingent.

Anyone wishing to dismiss the importance of the above news must bear in mind
that Malaysia is a role model for most developing Muslim countries, especially
given its record of generating employment for millions of Muslims in areas far
removed from oil extraction - a feat that deserves closer inspection, but we
will come to that later.

In light of Malaysia's rejection of the religious rights of its own citizens in
a supposedly democratic society, the incident raises broader questions with
respect to the assimilation of Muslims, as well as the right socioeconomic
model that underpins development. In a previous article, I wrote about the
economic reasons for the Taliban's failure in Afghanistan. [1] This article
explores the subject in greater detail, albeit within a broader context.

Deja vu

>From time immemorial, nations have been founded on principles akin to unity
>against diversity. As I wrote in the aforementioned article, economic
>structures have always played a big part in constructing social organizations,
>which in turn dictated the most appropriate political form for the state. The
>structure of ancient Greek states, for example, shows the difference between
>states with poor resources that necessitated pyramidal societies organized on
>military lines (Sparta) and the freewheeling societies formed by the plenty
>provided by trading (Athens).

Western scholars have been habitually critical of Islam as a political
movement, criticizing the cohabitation of state and religion. I reject woolly
notions of Islamic backwardness that are based on a false understanding of
secularism, but do recognize the points made by the likes of John Gray [2] that
dwell more wholesomely on the subject. To study this in more detail, though,
perhaps a diversion away from weighty religious matters to more mundane matters
of economics is called for.

For most people in Asia, perhaps the epitome of such differentiation as a
matter of history is the Japanese nation, albeit for reasons more negative than
positive if you happen to live outside Japan. As a country faced with an
economic decline due mainly to its inability to adjust its social organization
to new realities, Japan appears perennially drawn toward nostalgia, as the
recent success of books exhorting the precepts of nihonjinron [3] elucidate.

Does the notion of an Islamic Nation merit more than a casual examination? The
most commonly used word to describe the notion is ummah, an Arabic word meaning
"community" or "nation". The Arabic origin of the word underscores the notion
that Islam has been abused for many decades as an extension of Arab
nationalism, and consequently failed to absorb the essence of other modern
societies that it seeks to overrun.

The notion of radical Islam being a modern movement that attempts to organize
the state on authoritarian lines makes both historical and economic sense. This
is why the first thing apologists for tyrannical Arab regimes do is repeat the
saying that a year of anarchy is worse than a hundred in a tyranny. However,
that is not the central problem with the arrangement. Rather, it is the
potential disconnect with the underlying economy, which presents greater
potential for discord over the medium term. In other words, secular societies
"work" because underlying economic organization allows them - indeed, forces
them - to separate religion from state.

It is here that radical Islam fails to make the case. When removed from its
agrarian or military origins and plonked into the modern world requiring
frequent interactions with other communities, competitive industries and
innovative thinking, it is secular countries that outrun their unilateralist
counterparts. The difference between the economic performance of South Asian
states highlights this view, and emphatically so. As an example, Wahhabi
notions of restricting the economic participation of women simply do not work
in resource-poor states [4] and thus cause the maternalistic societies of
Bangladesh significantly to outperform Talibanized parts of Afghanistan.

Going back to Arab societies, we can see the rampant failure of such countries
in generating employment for their citizens, despite billions of dollars
secured in oil revenues. Because of the disconnect between economic realities
and political organization, Arab states have had to focus on keeping alive
external threats purely for their own sustenance. Thus a system that may have
worked well before has failed to stand the test of time in its countries of
origin. Instead of responding positively to the problem, Arab states have
largely chosen to go down the Luddite path, ie, to disengage from the rest of
the world.

That context is useful in examining the most recent events with which I started
the article, in Malaysia. That country's politics are increasingly
characterized by discord, as economic realities have cast gloom on
assertive-action programs. As I wrote previously, [5] the national car
companies in Malaysia are economic failures, but the government's decision to
award plum management jobs and dealerships to ethnic Malays has perversely
concentrated the adverse impact of the failure on the very people who were
supposed to benefit from its success. With similar stories abounding, the
country needs to recognize the value of its minority groups if it is to achieve
economic progress. That is a bitter pill to swallow for anyone brought up on a
steady jinron diet, which explains the most recent backlash against social
"contamination" of the Malay dreams.

Sticky end to nihonjinron

Muslims who still hanker after the Islam-jinron school of thought must stop and
think about how their intellectual forebear fared. nihonjinron was stopped dead
in its tracks twice, first by an external conflict that saw two of Japan's
biggest cities being nuked, and the second time by a rapid decline in stock and
property markets during the 1990s that spelled the end of the country's
economic miracle.

Today's multifarious movements such as al-Qaeda point the way to the first
outcome, namely a military conflagration that threatens to wipe out millions of
Muslims in years to come. The failures of Malaysia's economic system of
favoritism toward its Muslim majority portend exactly the same kind of market
decline that the Japanese confronted 20 years ago due to the inefficient
organizations that they created as showcases of how Japan worked differently.

Perhaps another way exists, as shown by the 1868 Meiji Restoration that saw an
end to the code of the Samurai and in turn unleashed the forces of
modernization. That it was centrally directed with an objective to prevent a
takeover of Japan by colonial forces is almost beside the point for today's
Muslims. That it ended the wasteful ways of the Samurai and brought in its wake
rapid industrialization that helped to lift millions of Japanese from servitude
and poverty is the main point.

As with all good deeds, though, it also carried its own punishment, namely the
increasing militarization that was necessitated by Western responses to Japan's
search for resources, in turn leading to the participation of the country in
World War II. Muslims fearing that outcome can, however, rest assured in the
knowledge that other countries, including China and India, stand before them in
the development queue, and would bear the brunt of Western "retaliation" - and
perhaps do so with greater success than the Japanese managed.

Notes
1. It's the money, honey, Asia Times Online, December 22, 2006.
2. Al-Qaeda and What It Means to Be Modern by John Gray, 2003.
3. Eg The Dignity of a State by Masahiko Fujiwara, 2005. Simply put,
nihonjinron is a theory based on the uniqueness and homogeneity of Japanese
culture and society. For a more detailed explanation, click here.
4. See Love your children, those little terrors, ATol, November 4, 2006.
5. Lifting the hood on the car industry, ATol, May 19.

(Copyright 2007 Asia Times Online Ltd. All rights reserved. Please contact us
about sales, syndication and republishing