http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/JE02Ae01.html

May 2, 2008

Local democracy pains in Indonesia
By Jacqueline Hicks

NORTH MALUKU, Indonesia - With Indonesia's general elections less than a year
away, preparations have begun in earnest. The new election laws are all but
finished, political parties are now registering and photos of smiling
presidential hopefuls holding newly harvested crops are beginning to creep into
newspapers.

But two disputed results from last year's local elections have highlighted a
lack of neutrality in the institutions tasked with protecting the integrity of
elections, which could signal trouble down the road as the country gears up for
what are expected to be hotly contested polls. The reputation of the National
Election Commission (KPU) - the body mandated to manage the electoral process -
has suffered particular damage.

While incumbent President Bambang Susilo Yudhoyono is still the clear
frontrunner for next year's presidential elections, his popularity has been
falling steadily since he was elected in 2004. And with the latest polls
showing that 40% of the population is undecided on how they will vote, an
election management body compromised by allegations of bias and ineptitude
could weaken the legitimacy of the winning candidate.

The local-level disputes involve the election of two of the country's 33
provincial governors. Since 2005, Indonesians have enjoyed the right to
directly elect their governor at the local level. Under former president
Suharto, regional governors were directly appointed and then for a brief period
voted in by local legislators.

Suharto's New Order regime used direct appointments, mostly military figures,
to maintain tight control over the regions. In the few years when governors
were elected by local legislators, they tended to be more accountable to
legislators than the population at large.

The recent controversies have strengthened the hand of those advocating less
local democracy after the country's swingeing 2001 decentralization laws
brought extensive powers to the regions. Last year saw the beginnings of a
debate on the suitability of direct elections at the local level, with a senior
member of the country's largest party advocating a return to the days when
governors were appointed by the central government.

The first dispute concerns last November's gubernatorial election in South
Sulawesi. The race was closely run between the candidate representing the
country's largest political party, Golkar, and another nominated by the second
largest party, PDI-P, led by former president Megawati Sukarnoputri.

When the election returned the PDI-P candidate by a whisker, the loosing Golkar
nominee filed a court case against the local branch of the National Election
Commission (KPU-P) on allegations of vote-rigging. Based on a few discrepancies
between an independent quick count survey and the official results, at the time
it seemed unlikely that the runner-up candidate had much of a case.

Shock decisions
On December 19, however, the Supreme Court, which handles local election
disputes, issued a shock verdict: the elections, the judges said, would have to
be reheld in four of the province's 20 regencies. The decision was
controversial because the Supreme Court was apparently only allowed by law to
order the local election commission to recount the votes, not order new polls.

Many legal observers were stunned by the decision. "The Supreme Court is only
mandated to order the election commission to recount the vote," Topo Santoso,
lecturer at the University of Indonesia and ex-member of the Election
Supervisory Committee said. "They clearly over-stepped their authority by
ordering a re-election."

The controversial nature of the decision has led to accusations of political
interference at the Supreme Court. Following a string of local election defeats
for Golkar, the South Sulawesi loss was particularly galling for the party's
top brass. Not only is the province considered a Golkar stronghold, but it is
also the home province of Golkar's head, vice president Jusuf Kalla.
Speculation of possible foul play has been egged on by the fact that the losing
Golkar candidate was Kalla's brother-in-law.

"The fear is that there was intervention from Golkar [in the court's decision].
We all know that this kind of thing often happens in Indonesia. But it's hard
to prove," said Indonesian decentralization expert Toto Sugiharto, who is
attached to the local Soegeng Sarjadi Syndicate think-tank. And even though the
Supreme Court recently overturned its original decision on appeal, suspicions
of political partisanship remain.

The Supreme Court was again at the center of an electoral dispute in North
Maluku. As in South Sulawesi, the November 3 election there was another
extremely close run contest between two old political rivals - Thaib Armaiyn
and Abdul Gafur. In the last local elections for the area in 2001, both men had
been involved in a bitter clash when Gafur was elected by the legislature to
become governor. But after allegations that some legislators were paid to vote
for Gafur were eventually proven in court, another vote was held and Armaiyn
assumed the position.

This time around, what followed last year's election was a Byzantine array of
accusations, winning declarations, counter-declarations and general confusion.
The local National Election Commission (KPU-P) was first out of the stalls with
a November 16 announcement that Armaiyn had won. This was promptly met by an
appeal to the central headquarters of the KPU in Jakarta, which apparently
detected irregularities in the vote-count. But when the central KPU ruled on
November 22 that instead Gafur had won and sacked the KPU-P staff, the latter
appealed their case to the Supreme Court.

The Supreme Court's decision further muddied the waters. Released on March 10,
it faulted both the central and provincial KPU's recounts and further ruled
that the central KPU did not have the legal authority to take over the
vote-count. Armaiyn's supporters read this as a victory, but while waiting for
the court to deliberate the case, a new KPU-P had been set up which declared
Gafur the winner.

After five months, three recounts, a Supreme Court ruling, a vote by the local
legislature and the direct intervention of the central government, the issue of
who won North Maluku's 2007 elections is still unresolved. "That's what happens
if we rely on the Supreme Court to resolve anything," Denny Indrayana,
University of Gadjah Mada lecturer said. "It gives an unclear judgement so the
plaintiffs have to ask for further clarification. Each time they do this, money
changes hands. It's their modus operandi."

Democratic damage
While palms are allegedly being greased, the people of North Maluku are being
short-changed. According to Husen Alting, lecturer at the University of Khairun
in North Maluku, the politicization of the local population has been damaging.
"Local government has been disrupted badly," he explained. "Civil servants and
legislators are all split on the issue and spend their time politicking rather
than working."

North Maluku is also well known as the site of a sectarian conflict between
Christians and Muslims which from 2000 to 2002 saw thousands die by the hands
of their own neighbors. Although there has been no sectarian overtones to the
ongoing election dispute - both candidates are Muslim - the area is still
sensitive to the political mobilization of workers and farmers and the security
presence has recently been stepped up considerably in the area.

The fate of North Maluku's election has now been handed to the minister of home
affairs, who describes the situation as "confusing". And with some analysts
already saying that the central government has no legal authority to decide a
local election result, the controversy looks set to continue.

>From a national perspective, both election disputes add to widespread
>perceptions about corruption in Indonesia's judiciary. That could change with
>the passage of a new law on April 18 that cuts the Supreme Court out of the
>electoral dispute resolution process altogether. The Constitutional Court, a
>body generally perceived to be less pliable than the Supreme Court, already
>handled all electoral disputes at the national level and within 18 months will
>handle all local election cases as well.

However, concerns over the KPU's ability to neutrally handle future elections
are not as easily dealt with. The body is crucial to the success of both local
and national elections, charged with managing every aspect of the polls from
the registering voters to candidate verification to vote-counts. In a country
of over 150 million voters, the KPU's responsibilities are huge in size and
importance to the future of Indonesian democracy.

University of Gadjah Mada lecturer Denny Indrayana describes the recent
performance of the KPU as a "real problem". "I don't think [the KPU] is capable
of running the 2009 elections, there just isn't the capacity. The new board is
less independent than the previous lot and less capable," he said, referring to
the seven new commissioners chosen by the national parliament late last year.

Accusations of partisanship within North Maluku's KPU-P have also raised
questions about the neutrality of some of the KPU's regional branches. "There
were problems in [North Maluku's] KPU from the very beginning of the election
cycle. The campaign schedule kept getting changed, as did the election day ...
This favored the incumbent, Thaib Armaiyn . The others didn't have a fair
chance to campaign," said the University of Khairun's Husen.

In the four years that direct elections of regional heads have been held in
Indonesia, 169 cases of disputes have been taken to court. Of those, all but a
handful have made it as far as a hearing. "There are a number of cases where
the provincial KPU have decided who looks likely to win and then shown bias
towards them," said Lilli Romli, a political analyst from the Indonesian
Institute of Sciences.

Some are more upbeat about the KPU's performance, including its criticized
regional branches. Jeirry Sumampow, the national coordinator for one of the
biggest networks of election watchdogs in Indonesia, the People's Voter
Education Network, thinks they have actually been improving over the past few
years.

The central KPU was also credited with broad success by international election
observers in overseeing the 2004 elections. Nevertheless, with a national
election just around the corner and a new set of commissioners now in place,
the institutional capacity of the KPU's national network will soon face a major
democratic test.

Dr Jacqueline Hicks is a political analyst based in Jakarta.

(Copyright 2008 Asia Times Online Ltd. All rights reserved. Please contact us
about sales, syndication and republishing)