http://thejakartaglobe.com/home/an-online-source-for-those-who-want-the-precise-word-in-bahasa-indonesia/313254

June 19, 2009
Anita Rachman

An Online Source for Those Who Want The Precise Word in Bahasa Indonesia

A young programming hobbyist has come to the rescue of those eager to use
precise Indonesian terms, instead having to fall back on foreign languages, by
creating a 24-hour online service that goes beyond just being a dictionary.

Ivan Lanin, executive director of Wikimedia Indonesia, has created a site
called Kateglo - a descriptive acronym that brings together the three main
attributes of the Web site: kamus (dictionary), tesaurus (thesaurus) and
glosarium (glossary).

The site, www.bahtera.org/kateglo, launched a beta version on May 9 but the
main version will go live in August.

"I've always wanted a site that could do all three things - find a term in a
field, find a definition of a term and find the similar words. And, of course,
all in electronic form," he said. "The site aims to help people while promoting
our national language."

Ivan said that people sometimes find themselves stuck with an English word
because they cannot find the most accurate Indonesian translation.

"People like me, who need to write exclusively in standard Indonesian, have had
difficulties in finding the correct Indonesian term," he said.

"A site like Kateglo should be very helpful," he added.

Terms such as evergreen or blogger, he said, are rarely translated into
Indonesian even though the words for them existed. "We have an Indonesian term
for evergreen, it's malar hijau ."

The contents of the site are mostly based on the standard Indonesian found in
the Ministry of National Education's Language Center online dictionary.

He also got input from his friends at the Bahtera mailing list, a list for
Indonesian translators and language experts.

The site, although still in beta version, already gets about 1,000 hits a day.
Ivan aims to keep on improving the site, which currently provides definitions,
synonyms, antonyms, terms and a glossary of terms related to specific fields,
for example, biology.

As of yesterday, the site contained 191,064 glossary entries, 71,024 dictionary
and thesaurus entries, and 1,961 proverbs.

Kateglo is an open-source application and the contents are licensed so users
are permitted to copy, distribute or adapt its contents as long as it is not
used for commercial purposes.

Ivan intends to use special contributors in much the same way they are used on
Wikipedia, because, he said, language is a consensus of the language users
themselves. "In the future, I want the site to be edited by people, just like
Wikipedia," he said. "We will select the people as the site should only be
edited people who are credible and understand the issues."

Ivan said there was much work to be done before the August launch, including
developing the user contribution concept, securing a license from the Language
Center so terms could be copied from the site and developing a more attractive
and user-friendly interface.

And he has to keep the contents updated. "So I will need more help from
Indonesian language experts," he said.